In today’s world, success is driven not only by what you know, but by what you can do with what you know. Now more than ever, it’s important for our youth to be equipped with the knowledge and skills to solve tough problems, gather and evaluate evidence, and make sense of information. These are the types of skills that students learn by studying science, technology, engineering and math—subjects collectively known as STEM.
STEM education is designed to build students’ rigor with complex subject matter, and produce critical thinkers and problem-solvers who can thrive in the 21st century economy.
K-12 STEM and Project-Based Learning Opportunities
- Capital Region BOCES
- Questar III BOCES
- Tech Valley High School
- Washington-Saratoga-Warren-Hamilton-Essex (WSWHE) BOCES
Essential Ed Website Provides Roadmap to Standards-Based Curriculum
With Essential Ed, educators are just a click away from a full suite of online curricula and instructional resources.
It’s no secret that educators have a lot on their plate. They seldom have adequate time to work with their peers to prioritize and develop course curriculum and student outcomes based on the state’s learning standards.
As a result, instruction may vary from class to class and building to building within a school district, increasing the chance of inequities in student learning.
The Essential Ed curriculum serves as a roadmap for educators to focus on the knowledge, skills and understanding students need within any given standard. It also provides a framework for each educator to weave in their content for instruction. Using this approach, planning for instruction becomes standards-based instead of resource-driven.
Innovative, STEM-Focused Approaches to High School
Pathways in Technology Early College High School (P-TECH) are innovative high school programs led by BOCES’ throughout our region in partnership with business and industry, higher education and K-12 education. These programs are designed to help address two issues that adversely impact the regional economy—rising student loan debt and employers struggling to find qualified workers.
P-TECH in Our Region
- Capital Region Pathways in Technology Early College High School (P-TECH)
- Clean Technologies & Sustainable Industries Early College High School
- Foothills PTECH
- Hamilton Fulton Montgomery (HFM) Agriculture PTECH
- Hamilton Fulton Montgomery (HFM) PTECH
- Southern Adirondack P-TECH and SUNY Adirondack Early College Career Academy
- Troy Riverfront P-TECH
Become a STEM Educator
STEM teachers at all levels are in high demand: it is projected that at least 10,000 more STEM teachers will be needed over the next 10 years.
Learn how you can use your passion for science, technology, engineering and mathematics to inspire and educate today’s students:
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Math: Education for Global Leadership
- Expand Your Role in STEM and Become a STEM Teacher Leader
- Teaching STEM
- Pathways to Certification in New York State
GLOBALFOUNDRIES introduces new website to connect with students, educators
GLOBALFOUNDRIES has launched STEM@GF — a new website designed to inspire today’s students to learn more about the field of semiconductors.
STEM@GF invites schools, parents, teachers and students to connect with all things semiconductor (also known as computer chips) and learn about the technology that powers the everyday digital devices we can’t live without: smartphones, digital cameras, flat screen TVs, video game consoles – as well as washing machines, refrigerators, LED bulbs – and more!
Visit STEM@GF to discover:
- Short engaging videos that take you inside the GLOBALFOUNDRIES Fab plant, and shows the many different jobs it takes to make them.
- A menu of hands-on STEM activities that teach K-12 students about semiconductors, and can be used independently or in a classroom setting.
- Resources for high school students to explore career pathways, internships and apprenticeships available at GLOBALFOUNDRIES, and to learn about P-TECH and Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs.
Check out STEM@GF today!
GLOBALFOUNDRIES is a global semiconductor manufacturing company with a site right here in the Capital Region (Malta, NY).